Friday, February 7, 2014

CFKT II: Crimson Fist Kill Teams part 2

I can spend hours coming up with kill team combos and cool black-ops characters to fill the most important spots on the roster.  Here’s a few characters I came up with so far (by no means an exhaustive list):


Warhawk.  There’s nothing in this sector that walks, crawls, or dies that the scout sergeant Warhawk hasn’t cut down from afar.  His rebellious streak is expressed by his red mohawk hairstyle, his mean streak by his deathly silent sniper rifle.  Scout sergeant with camo-cloak, sniper rifle, and Guerilla Spec: Preferred Enemy special rule.


Big Chuck.  Chuck should have been dead a hundred times over by now, but he just keeps coming.  He’ll walk right out of cover, his heavy bolter “Betsy” belching death across no man’s land, screaming right along with her.  Either a Tac or Sternguard marine upgraded to Heavy Bolter.  Options are Weapon Spec: Split Fire, Indom: Relentless or Indom: Feel No Pain.  (I’ve used Relentless and next time will go with Split Fire – there are few single KT models that require all three heavy bolter rounds to bring down.)


Frenzied Freddy.  An assault marine with zeal bordering on the Khornate, brother marine Frederick Kruger wields two terrible chain swords to get the job done as messily as possible.  Assault Marine or Vanguard Vet equipped normally with the Combat Spec: Shred special rule. 


Sergeant Maverick.  A grizzled sergeant with frontier flare, Mav is a two-gun pistolier known for making quick decisions and quick work of his enemies.  Sergeant or Veteran Sergeant with two plasma pistols (or one and a grav-pistol, I suppose).  Probable Kill Team Leader.  

*  *  *


My buddy J and I actually played a couple short games of Kill Team last weekend. 

Game 1 was my Crimson Fists (sternguard and scouts) vs his Word Bearers (chosen and cultists).  Once we were set up it pretty much became a shooting match, which I had the advantage in.  My snipers and a missile launcher scout were set up in a nice nest in the ruins while my sternguard maneuvered around and switched ammo as appropriate.  Even under cover of darkness, the sternguard left no save available to their prey, spraying dragonfire rounds (no cover save) at cultists and vengeance rounds (AP3) at Chaos Marines, while the snipers (led by Warhawk) picked off the enemy one by one.  The loyalist marines only lost a few models while wiping out the Chaos incursion to a man.

Game 2 we switched up: my Dark Eldar (scourge and true born) vs his Space Wolves (grey hunters).  This was a king of the hill game and while I was trying to be sneaky and subtle, the Space Wolves just formed an armored walking line on their edge of the deployment zone and strolled right up onto the hill.  I figured myself a goner from the start but by the end of turn two it looked like I might very well win!  My poison-throwing elves killed almost half his force, but once my Draco leader got into close combat, I found out that a power weapon is a waste of points in the hands of a delicate dandelion-eater.  Even with me generally rolling very well and him rolling pretty bad, the Space Wolves took and kept the hill and killed all the pesky Eldar.

Kill Team is fun, fast, and furious, but I couldn’t go to just playing that.  KT is kind of like the celery hearts in the produce section of the grocery store: it cuts out the before and after and gets right to the good part.  The disadvantage of this is that purifying your 40K game down to just the action reduces the strategy, planning, and finer points of game play to just about nothing.  (Well...  yes and no, but it's certainly a smaller, faster, more immediate game.)  Sometimes I want that, but not all the time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment